1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract1 cup mashed fresh strawberries
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup mashed fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a cake pan.
- Beat white sugar and shortening together until light and fluffy.
- Beat eggs, one at a time, into sugar mixture until well mixed; stir in vanilla extract.
- Stir 1 cup strawberries and baking soda in a large bowl until baking soda is dissolved. This will help strawberries foam and rise in the cake.
- Whisk flour and salt together in a separate bowl. Stir flour mixture and strawberry mixture by hand, into sugar mixture, alternating flour mixture, then strawberry mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, and 1/4 cup strawberries in a bowl with an electric mixer until blended; frost the cooled strawberry cake.